April 19, 2010

Mud Pies and Water Fun!

We're taking The Outdoor Challenge! Are you? Find out more at 5 Orange Potatoes.

I'm the first to admit that I am not a morning person. Really. Like, not at all! I do not get going until evening. That's when I am at my best and so that is when most of our activity finally starts to happen. I'm working on it. I can't just let my kids do whatever until I'm ready to do something otherwise most of the day ends up wasted.

Today we had some crafting time in the morning which was a big deal for me. I even pulled out the sewing machine AND let the kids help! Marah was begging me to buy some pretend food and a shopping cart so that she could go grocery shopping at home. Since I had actually been thinking of making up some play food for the kids recently anyway, I decided now was as good a time as any to get started. Sometimes I have to remind myself that it doesn't all have to get done in one day. It can be an ongoing project.

So I gathered up some old t-shirts and scraps of knit jersey fabric I had in my bin and we started talking about what foods could be made with the different colors. The girls were very creative with some of their ideas, things I would never have thought of (fish and water from a bright blue fabric). We cut and sewed and stuffed and sewed and ended up with an apple, tomato, broccoli, celery, pear, fish, water, and chips. Not bad for a couple hours of work! The girls had fun shopping and Marah has been playing with them all day. They are very rough and not professional quality by any means, but they get the job done!


After supper I gathered up the kids and we went outside for some play. Even Eric joined us (not a big outdoors type)! While Eric and Jenna played catch, Marah and Alex and I started making mud pies. I knew I was in for a mess but I was kind of excited about it! It's not something I want to deal with every day, but once in awhile it's good to let the kids just have fun and make a mess. Dig in, get wet, strip down, shiver a bit, smush, stomp, splash! It's what being a kid is all about, exploring this great big world we live in and learning from these experiences.




All it took was my pouring a little water on Alex to start a water fight! I was carrying the camera so I was excused from most of the action, but I knew it was only a matter of time before Eric would get me, and I was right! That water was COLD! Alex was walking around shivering for the rest of his outside time, but he didn't care. He just wandered around with that goofy grin he's so famous for, shivering all the while.






There's that goofy grin!



Time to clean up!

This April weather has been unbelievable for us in NW Minnesota! I can't believe how warm it's been. I'm only slightly disappointed that all the sweaters I bought on clearance in February haven't been worn much (I figured I had until the end of May to wear them!) and now I have to buy more clothes... darn. Well, it's kind of a bummer only because clothes cost money and since I have a daughter turning 10 soon with a birthday to plan as well as summer clothes to buy for, my own needs get put on the back burner for now. I guess I'll just have to live with what I have for now. I'll get by :)

Make each day count!

2 comments:

  1. what a fun day it looks like you had! that little boy of yours is growing so fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you guys had lots of fun getting wet! I love Jenna's haircut. So cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I am always grateful when you take the time to let me know what you thought of my posts. If something in a post inspires you to blog, please link me up!