January 3, 2010

It's What I Long For

Hymn to a Good Wife
Proverbs 31:10-31 (The Message)
A good woman is hard to find,
and worth far more than diamonds.
Her husband trusts her without reserve,
and never has reason to regret it.

Never spiteful, she treats him generously all her life long.
She shops around for the best yarns and cottons,
and enjoys knitting and sewing.
She's like a trading ship that sails to faraway places
and brings back exotic surprises.

She's up before dawn, preparing breakfast
for her family and organizing her day.
She looks over a field and buys it,
then,
with money she's put aside, plants a garden.

First thing in the morning, she dresses for work,
rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started.
She senses the worth of her work,
and
is in no hurry to call it quits for the day.

She's skilled in the crafts of home and hearth,
diligent in homemaking.
She's quick to assist
anyone in need,
reaches out to help the poor.

She doesn't worry about her family when it snows;
their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear.
She makes her own clothing,
and dresses in colorful linens and silks.

Her husband is greatly respected when
he deliberates with the city fathers.
She designs gowns and sells them,
brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops.

Her clothes are well-made and elegant,
and she always faces tomorrow with a smile.
When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say,
and she always says it kindly.

She keeps an eye on everyone in her household,
and keeps them all busy and productive.
Her children respect and bless her;
her husband joins in with words of praise:
"Many women have done wonderful things, but you've outclassed them all!"

Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades.
The woman to be admired and praised is
the woman who lives in the Fear-of-
God.
Give her everything she deserves!

Festoon her life with praises!

------------------------------------

There are so many things I can find in this passage that I need to work on. Those that stand out the most to me are "She keeps an eye on everyone in her household, and keeps them all busy and productive. " and "She's up before dawn, preparing breakfast or her family and organizing her day." Most days I feel that I don't do enough. I don't spend enough time with my children, teaching them, playing with them, just being involved. I know I can put on a good show sometimes, but please, don't be fooled into thinking that I am as productive as I seem to portray. This is an area of my life that I greatly struggle with. I definitely can be best friends with laziness.

How I feel on a regular basis


And so, I do plan to print these passages and hang them in my living room where I will see them every day, throughout the day, and be reminded of my weakness so that I would make the changes in my life that are needed in order to be the wife and mother and friend that God wants me to be. That He has called me to be.


This job is rewarding but seldom rewarded. I so often find myself feeling wistful wanderlust and wishing for more in life but it is when I take a step back that I am reminded of how blessed and full my life really is.

How I strive to feel on a daily basis.

I'm under no illusions that life is perfect nor that it should be or ever will be. I fully understand that my shortcomings are due to the sinful nature of man. To err is human. However, by God's grace, I can learn to become a better woman by practice and lots of prayer.

Make each day count.

2 comments:

  1. You're too hard on yourself, Ashley. You do plenty for your family. No one expects you to be perfect (except maybe you). You're a wonderful mother (and daughter), and I'm sure Eric feels blessed that you're his wife (at least he should!). I'm very proud of you, and I have no doubt that, when your children are older, they will call you blessed!
    I love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, I'm not too hard on myself. I know that I do a lot for my family and I know that Eric feels blessed to have me as his wife, but I also know that I can do better. I do give in to laziness much more than I should. I don't think that I should have to be going, going, going all the time. I know that I have to take a break and rest, but I have areas in my life that I need to improve upon and I do hope to find more joy in the job that God has called me to do. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I am always grateful when you take the time to let me know what you thought of my posts. If something in a post inspires you to blog, please link me up!