September 16, 2010

Books


I love books. Books are probably my very favorite gift to give my children. They may not enjoy being on the receiving end quite as much as I'd like, but overall they do enjoy books... for the most part. I won't lie, they would much rather get new video games or movies or toys, and their dad would be okay with that, but I don't let it deter me from letting books make up the majority of their gifts each birthday and Christmas.

So I figured I would share some of the wonderful treasures I have discovered over the 31 years I've spent on this earth. I've received books as a young child, checked out numerous books from the library as a teenager, read to my children, read for myself as an adult, and used books in our curriculum over the last few years as well.

Today I want to focus on a fun curriculum book because education has been at the forefront of my mind lately (what, with school starting and everything). However, this book does not have to be strictly for home schooling. If you don't home school but have kids, this book will definitely get plenty of use by your children!

ART: This morning a large, heavy box of art supplies from Blick Art Materials arrived on our front porch and got me all kinds of excited! You see, I have a little artist in my home and buying quality art materials for her has been something I've been wanting to do for so long. After discovering ARTistic Pursuits art curriculum, and seeing its' wonderful reviews, I decided to buy the Grades K-3 Book One, An Introduction to the Visual Arts and the accompanying art kit. This curriculum introduces students to the historical side of art with mini biographies as well as the techniques used by those artists.



This book is awesome! Not only does it introduce your child to a wide array of artistic medium (acrylic paints, watercolor, collaging, stamping, resist techniques, chalk pastels, oil pastels, wax crayons, and more) but gives several ideas and instructions for projects that are fun, unique, interesting, and creative! I had high expectations for this book after reading the reviews and I was not disappointed. In fact, I was really impressed by the wealth of information and ideas in this book! If you are looking for a book that will help spark your children's artistic creativity but cannot quite afford an art curriculum or don't want to invest in an art curriculum (perhaps art is not quite as high on your list of priorities as mine), this book would be perfect. We love it in our house!

Just be prepared for your kids to beg to pull out the art supplies and make a mess :)

Make each day count!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I am always grateful when you take the time to let me know what you thought of my posts. If something in a post inspires you to blog, please link me up!